Why study Dental Radiography?
ICE is a National Reference Centre for Digital Dentistry and offers portfolio support as well as evidence based teaching, making this dental radiography course transferable to your clinic.
As this course is run in partnership with the University of Salford‘s Radiography department, you get the benefits of our state of the art equipment at our fully equipped dental hospital and a University department specialising in radiography.
The course is delivered by a team of imaging specialists and dental professionals, with access to a skills lab for candidates to practice their technique on models before X-Raying patients in their place of work.
Successful completion of the course earns you a certificate from a well known and respected University, and a CPD certificate from ICE.
What is the aim of the Dental Radiography course?
The aim of the course is to enable the participant to use ionising radiation safely to produce diagnostic images. The course will provide training as required by the IR(ME)R 2000, Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations 2000. It will enable the course participants to undertake radiographic projections used in dental practice.
What will I learn?
On completion of the programme the participant will:
- Have knowledge of the equipment and principles of radiation physics to be able to work safely and effectively in producing a diagnostic quality image.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of different radiographic techniques to provide safe and effective imaging of patients taking into account their individual needs
- Be able to work autonomously whilst still under the direction of the clinician and whilst working within current UK legislation regarding ionising radiation
- Be able to perform intra-oral radiographs on prescription
- Be able to perform extra-oral radiographs on prescription
The student will be able to:
- perform a range of intra-oral examinations on a range of patients to a high standard.
- perform extra-oral examinations on a range of patients to a high standard.
- critically appraise radiographic images, identify sources of error and describe how to rectify those errors.
- explain how legislation for radiation protection and COSHH is applied in practice.
- describe how quality assurance procedures are carried out and used in practice.
- describe how infection control procedures apply to Dental Radiography
Dental Radiography Content
This course is designed for qualified dental nurses who would like to be more involved with patient care and support their dentists in the diagnosis and treatment planning by providing good diagnostic radiographs. Teaching on the course will cover:
- Radiation Physics
- Radiation protection
- X-ray apparatus and equipment
- Films and processing
- Quality Assurance
- Digital Imagery & Interpretation
- Principles of imaging
- Radiological anatomy
- Common dental pathology
- Practical Techniques
How will I be assessed?
The course assessment comprises of two elements:
1. a written examination (including a compulsory section which must be passed in order for the candidate to be awarded an overall pass)
2. an ePortfolio including reflective reports, and the recording of practical cases.
If you would like to book, please fill in the form below.